Sunday, February 14, 2010

Counting calories

It amazes me sometimes how much learning I have to do when it comes to staying fit and healthy. I have been ravenous lately which has led to constant snacking between meals. It finally occurred to me that I have been very active since the new year and haven't accounted for that with my meal sizes. Some rough estimates from the internet tell me that:
  • A lightly active person of my age, sex and stature (28 years, female, 5'2", 110 pounds) needs 1650 calories a day to maintain a constant weight.
  • A moderately active person of my stature needs 1900 calories a day to a maintain constant weight.
  • A very active person of my stature needs 2150 calories a day to maintain a constant weight.
That's roughly an increase of 200 calories in intake per 30 minutes of exercise. That coincides nicely with my Nike+ run history, which shows that I burn between 300 and 500 calories per run.

I was curious how this matched with my calorie intake so I decided to calculate how many calories I eat in a normal day. During the week, I eat:
  • 300-400 calories for breakfast (cereal)
  • 500-600 calories for lunch (pasta)
  • 600-800 calories for dinner (a burrito)
  • 75 calories for an occasional dessert (half an ice cream sandwich)
which gives me a total of 1475-1875 calories a day. Some very simple math explains why I'm suddenly hungry all the time. Let's see if increasing the size of my lunch and dinner fixes the snacking problem.

3 comments:

  1. back in summer of 2008 when I was at my peak of training for CLT I was hungry ALL THE TIME. But man, counting calories is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's wrong with snacking? I do much better with 5 small meals a day than 2 or 3 big ones.

    Also, did you happen to see the Dear Uncle Ezra question from a 20-year-old training for a marathon and asking about nutrition? It's at http://ezra.cornell.edu/posting.php?timestamp=1266300000#question3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, I did see that post. It's a little uncanny how close to home it hits, in particular this part: "I am a vegetarian, and often find it hard to both eat healthy and consume enough calories." My diet is rich is veggies and protein, but that's not what my body wants right now: it wants fat and carbs.

    Snacking works for people with self control, but for me, it's always led to overeating. I do really well with three square meals, but I just need to make sure that I put enough calories into them to carry me through the day.

    ReplyDelete