Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bicycle trainer

I got a new trainer for my bike and now I can ride indoors through the winter!



It's a Minoura Magturbo magnetic inter-rim trainer. Before today, I had no idea what that meant or how a trainer worked. Basically, it elevates the rear bike wheel and offers magnetic resistance against which you pedal. The downside is that it's not a wind resistance trainer, which apparently offers resistance in a positive feedback loop (i.e. the faster you pedal the more resistance there is) and is good for interval training. The plus side is that the resistance is applied to the rim of the bike tire and not directly to the tire surface so it doesn't wear out the tire tread. Total cost: $75 (used via Craigslist). If it allows me to exercise before work without having to go outside, I think it'll be money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment