Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Belay certified!

I have a secret. I took a climbing class a few years back, and I was never belay certified because I didn't pass the test. I hated climbing. The knots befuddled me. I got frustrated quickly because I lacked upper body strength. The class started at 9 am on Saturdays so I was always half asleep. And since it was a course, the emphasis was on doing everything exactly as we were taught and not on having fun. But my major downfall was that I lacked confidence in my athletic abilities and in myself.

When I re-learned to belay over winter break, I was surprised at how relaxed and informal the instructors were. It was a lot easier this time around, probably because it didn't feel like I was memorizing a series of directions. Ben was kind enough to give me a refresher course this past Sunday, and I was 100% confident in my ability to safely belay someone by the time I went to the gym today. I'm quite proud to say that I passed the test this time. Not only that, I was able to teach Lauren the ropes (sorry, bad pun), and she is now also certified. We spent 2 hours climbing until our arms couldn't take any more.

Half Marathon Training
Week of 1/18/10 red=incomplete; green=completed







stretch & strengthen3 m run2 m run or cross3 m run + strengthrest30 min cross4 m run

No comments:

Post a Comment